...words of wisdom...

...life...sometimes it's like that...sometimes it's not...
















17 June 2008

The Happening...didn't happen

Oh lo....wat sadness!!

My Yummyness can't act..
*sob sob*

My Yummyness in this case would be Mark Wahlberg a.k.a. Marky Mark.
In this latest M. Night Shyamalan movie, Marky plays Elliot Moore, a science teacher.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Apparently, MNS was driving abouts somewhere when he thought to himself "what if the world started attacking us..?"
Which is what The Happening is about...how plants, trees and many other greeneries in the East Coast, USA, started producing this gas/chemicals which blocks some sort of neuro-something in our brain.
First causing disorientation, then they just stand still and then they kill themselves.
As usual, since this happened in US (where else, rite), they initially thought it was a terrorist attack (what else, rite).
The "attack" started off at 8.30+am on Tuesday and ended at 9.30+am the following day.
Funny thing is, it was some kooky dude with a greenhouse who first voiced the idea that maybe its the trees and plants that's attacking us, by producing this chemical that scientists later realised was the cause.
They attack large groups of people cuz they feel threatened...so I guess its sorta kinda like the world taking its revenge on humankind for all them darn holes in the ozone layer.

**FURTHER SPOILER ALERT**

Now Yummyness has been in many many movies before and he's always seemed to be a good actor, but those were I-kick-yo-ass-boy! movies...either he's an assassin or someone from d 'hood or something la..dalam erti kata yang lain...a tough guy

But in this movie, he's supposed to be some sweet, forgiving, lovable, calm science teacher who can charms the pants of d little lucky charms dude.
Helps, I guess, that he's Irish..so mebe d lucky charms dude oso won't mind.

..charms...helps..hee hee...I'm channeling Talam Bermuka2

Any, playing his wife, Alma Moore is some Unknown Horrid Actress (UHA)
In the movie, UHA mentioned a few times that she "doesn't like to show emotions in public".
Which makes sense, cuz based on what I saw, UHA couldn't emote a genuine emotion to save herself (which she had to do in the movie).
The few times that she could, she mostly did it by mengterbeliakkan her mata
This just made her look effin ridiculous..and crazy - no wonder My Yummyness didn't look at her when she did this.
When she's not mengterbeliakkaning her mata..he emoting looks so forced it borders on over-acting

Probably her acting was the reason this movie is rated 'R'..for d scary-ness lies in her non-ability to berlakon
Hmm....mebe My Yummyness' acting wasn't so bad, but I guess I was expecting more.

But serious, compared to UHA, he is SO much better...a stick on unsalted butter would be much a better actor than UHA
The Bunga and Talam Bermuka2 at the House of Siham

There were times when I wondered whether My Yummyness' kawan2 akrab like Matt Damon, George Clooney and Ben Affleck were laughing when they watched My Yummyness in this movie.

In terms of whose the better actor among the main characters//more well-known actors, I vote John Leguizzamo 1st, My Yummyness 2nd and UHA as last. The Lastest if possible.
In actual fact, the extras were way better actors than My Yummyness and UHA.
Expecially Mr Collin, the real-estate agent.

John wasn't in the movie for long, which was a shame, cuz he kept me interested in the movie at first.
After that, for some reason, My Yummyness' acting got better, or maybe its cuz I loves him (read: his body) so much I just decided to ignore the cringe-worthy moments.

I gotta say, it was kinda cute the way he started talking to the houseplant, cuz the greenhouse dude said they react positively to kind words.
That is until he realised the house plant was fake...
But that was still a pretty cute moment.
Another cute moment was when this 15 year old dude gave My Yummyness relationship advice.
That was kelakar.


Anyway, end of the day, I think the idea behind this movie is interesting, but the execution is lame.
The dialogue leaves much to be desired, though it does have its (rare) funny moments.

My conclusion: You can miss this one....

If you want a professional review, go to http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080612/ap_en_re/film_review_the_happening

PS/I wonder whether Mr Collin survived the "attack". I know I was glad I survived this movie.

No comments: