...words of wisdom...

...life...sometimes it's like that...sometimes it's not...
















15 July 2007

Go-Live July 15th 2007

Since I now work shifts, Friday Saturday were my rest days.
Today (15th July 2007), The House of Siham and its suku kaum serata dunia experienced GO-LIVE for the MY HRSD team.
Its not like its a bloody big celebration or anything, but basically, it marks the day we (in KL) became the hub for a heck of a lot other countries.

So here I am...on Sunday at the office, supposedly doing my work, but actually typing away on me blog.
Also managed to book movie tix for me bro (depan my Line Manager pulak tue).
Nasib baik tak busy today, kalau tak....

Any...switched on my PC and saw 18 e-mails waiting for me to read (since Fri I was not in).
GASP! haha..so sarcastic...big fiddle-dee-dee deal...
I used to receive 100 e-mails to respond to and/or act upon on a daily basis...now THAT was a crazy life.
No work-life balance at all ok.
12-13 hours at the office on weekdays, about 4-5 on weekends, running here and there, problem solving, analysing, listening to people bitch and act so eksi, wif d e-mails and phone calls and face-to-face, some more....oh! and 2 burn outs in 1 year...
no wonder I lost weight within 3 mnths of working here! now i've got it aaaalllllll back..

any, one day i had enuf and i said..."y'all aint paying me enuf for this shit, man!"
well, not that i said that to anyone in particular. burn outs aside, i LOVE this job.

but, I needed to rest and end of the day, the above statement is still true (plus me former LM was sh*ttty)...
so no more 12-13 hrs of work and weekend trips to the office...erm...d rest no choice la, sebab that's part and parcel of the kerja
again burn out, due to emotional stress more than anything else....
until, that is, I was transferred to T1 (yeay!)...
which equates to new boss (who is great)
shifts - since we need to "assist" people in other countries
...and a better WLB
Also decided to approach someone for the mentor-mentee programme

This is a new unit within an existing dept. 4 of us wif T2 experience (I would only count 2 of us, meself and someone else, since d other 2 are still relatively new), 4 from the existing dept, which handled system more than policy and 2 others brand new to the rumah.
Campur aduk kan kesemua sekali, termasuk lah Line Manager, we now have 10+1 people.
WEF today, we are handling ASIA-PAC, Oceania, Middle East and Sakhalin..yeay for Malaysia!!

Being d hub aint easy, esp when it comes to other people's entitlement and remuneration issues.
There's local policy to learn...but, to date, we've not had any content training aside from MY & S'pore.
But big deal sebab the people who went on the Migration thingie are all based in KL and former T2 colleagues.
I'm talking about having to respond on issues which we have NO info on.
Even in MY itself we have various ways of doing the same thing, ini kan pula a country in Middle East.
sigh.....I tell you...sebesar-besar rumah nie....alangkah sedih nya, we are SO disorganised.

Any, back to the Go-Live.
One of the e-mails was from the Biggest Boss in MY.
Since I dono if I can actually copy and paste an Internal Mail (no secrets, but since internal) on me blog, it basically has the feel of "Good Luck", "Malaysia Boleh!" "This is what T1 does" and why we go live on a Sunday and not on Monday like normal people...(because Middle Easterners are crazy people who work from Sunday to Thursday and weekends are on Friday and Saturday).

and this is why I have to come to work on weekends now? sighhhhhh.......
which also means the leave in lieu we get when a PH falls on Saturday (Friday off) or Sunday (Monday off) or the regular PHs will have to be postponed and taken later since the other countries would still be working.
so when people are happily resting a day in the middle of the week, I might have to come and work :`(

But that also means I can kumpul my leave and go for a whole week at the end of the year..yeay!!!

Think I'm gonna bring bonda to East Malaysia la.....check out the beaches ke....Redang ke...Club Med ke...

(This was what I wanted to say at Chef and Brew, Tiza! Next time...hold your horses or write what you want to say down so you dont forget! and for God's sakes, utilise d damn camera!!)

But I guess end of the day, I really don't mind coming in on Sundays or Saturdays and getting 2 of the weekdays off, instead.
Malls aren't crowded, appointments are easier to make (since other people are working) and movies aren't full.
Well, you might have to deal with the college students a bit more, but I typically ignore the ignorant, so that's not gonna be much of a prob for me.

What's nice, though, is the 1pm - 10 pm shifts...so far lah.
Cuz that means I get to wake up late and do some stuff first before I gotta get to work.
Parking's not gonna be an issue much since I tumpang someone.
I can go back at 4 or later and get me car so it'll be easier for me to drive home later...parking will be aplenty then...(phew! lucky I stay close to the office)...AstroMax d usual fave shows and watch em later.

Gym opens at 7am on weekdays, so if I rajin, can go early to get me heart pumping (and me body near fainting...remember my 8 min run, Tiza?
I can oso go for a facial...shopping...or just tido.

Also, since we won't all be working on Friday and someone needs to be manning the floor at all times (in case someone calls in), lunch is anytime between 11 am and 2 pm; which is convenient, cuz sometimes I get hungry early, sometimes late.
Also, we can take out 2 hour lunch anytime of the week.
Initially, we would plan it among ourselves, but me LM says we're making a muck out of it, since we check wif each other pretty last minute, so wef next week's roster, she'll be appointing our 2 hour lunch for us...sniff sniff...
actually, not so bad la. at least more organised this way.
Tiza.....let's Tony Roma's...again!

All in all...so far so good...
Still thinking whether to stay or leave for greener pastures (will need to discuss further wif my mentor on this..hee hee...)
But I likes it here (always have except for that one brief moment in time with that bloody project team).

This is after all the first and only company where I went home feeling like I've spent a tiring but very worthwhile day at the office, where I was actually counting how many years I'd be able to spend here before I retire (wud be nice for me to get the 35 years of LSA here...alas, max is 28 unless they change the NRD ;) )
This is also where I got 2 raises in 6 months...thanks Mr Kong!

This is also where I've learned the most...met a lot of great people...thought about the possibility of being x-posted overseas...no, Tiza, not talking about the training at NL...being groomed and trained for better, higher positions bla bla bla...
Konon-konon nya starting a "career" la.

All I'm saying is....I have a lot of opportunities here.
I can grow and develop and well....if I don like it anymore, I can change department, request for a new assignment (tapi kena "fight" wif other people la).
ie...I don't have to "leave the company".
Salary is good (not so terel, right now, but will be hopefully InsyaAllah in 3 months time)
Which also reminds me.....Monday marks my 1st year as a permanent employee here.
So that's officially 2 1/2 years working for this company; 1st 1 1/2 as a contractor and d last 1 year as a permanent employee....yeay for me!!

The time is now 4.50pm....I have 5 hours left to go...thinking about dinner...
actually...thinking about this headache I have cuz I got caught in the rain...annoying!
Also thinking about dinner and when the next salary's coming in and la trip to Perth...yeay!!

No comments: