Its 12.20 am and I'm still at the office.
The question that runs through my mind is "is this all really worth it....why not just go home and continue tomorrow..."
A few months back, I would say I do it because I have to do it.
Because I have learned, from working here, to be proud of the quality of my work, the knowledge that I gain, the contributions that I make.
I have learned that when I put in a little bit more effort and time, it is the team that wins.
I have learned that I really like it when my team succeeds, even though no one else realises it and there's no actual reward other than knowing we did a good job.
Of course, after a while, you start thinking you're pretty dumb for letting your team lead and team take advantage of you like that.
At the same time that I realise that, I also realise that I don't really really care.
That as much as I grumble and whine about it, I like knowing my team is doing well.
Came to a point, as well, that I started (sorta kinda) resenting the fact that they were earning more and are of a higher salary group.
Whereas I..the stupid kuli who runs when someone asks a question, is getting paid a good RM1K+ less.
Which means my bonus would be less, which means at the end of the month, they still have some left, whereas I'm struggling to save, spend and pay off debts.
So I started asking about being promoted, so that I would be ON PAR with my team.
I don't need to be higher than them...I just want to be on the same level as they are.
Finally, after much "no..you're not worth the extra cash.." I'm finally going to get my fair share.
My boss promised a promotion if I can hit 55% of my colleagues' case numbers in Jan.
Her numbers were 799; which means 55% would be 440
Or better yet, she said, 60%; that would make it 480.
I reached 440 on 21st March
I reach 480 on 25th March
Today, I surpassed my previous month's numbers, which was 517
I am now at 520 and still adding the numbers.
I want what I deserve.
So is it worth it...? Hell yeah...it really really is.
Volks Burger @ Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment