I have a 12 year old cat...having said that...she looks young and she's young at heart.
Actually, Orbit (which in Hokkien means Guinness Stout - according to the vet), belongs to Big Brother.
We wondered whether he named her Orbit knowing what it means in Hokkien...
We asked ... he said "no!" ... he lied ... it was so obvious.
Orbit and Big Brother has a special relationship.
Very, very special....
Big Brother's ex referred to Big Brother's best fren, Danny, as his girlfriend (cuz he tells Danny everything...they're really close) and Orbit as his Gundik (cuz he's very protective of her, puts her above and beyond most everybody else...and they sleep together...plus...she hates everyone else except for him)
Any....last week on Wednesday, my area was hit with a very heavy rain....
It lasted for a few hours.
At around 9 or so....I came out and Orbit was there in front of the TV with Bunnie, wet from the waist down and didn't seem bothered with cleaning herself.
So I took a towel and dried her up..and that was when I smelled something funky.
I thought she was injured, so did Bunnie.
We noticed she'd lost some weight, although the night before, she was absolutely fine.
So the next day, Big Brother sent an SMS to Bunnie and me and told us to bring her to the vet.
I told him to keep her in the room so that I can bring her to the vet.
He did not on Thursday, he didn't on Friday...he thinks its cruel to keep her locked in a room for a whole day.
Puh-lease! She hangs out in his room for a whole day many many times before.
Not keeping her in the room wouldn't have been an issue if she was any of the other cats.
But she goes out early in the morning (ard 8am) and comes back very late at night (ard 2/3 am).
Plus, she'd only come in when Big Brother calls her.
I can bring his cat to the vet...but he has to do his part and make sure she's around for me to do so.
It was only on Saturday when I was finally able to bring her cuz she slept in the room with him.
I had something I had to do by 12pm, so I couldn't bring her to the vet til 2pm.
I've never been to this vet before, but it was one of the close ones to the house so I thought I'd give it a shot.
When we finally met with the vet, I told her that she may have been hit by a car and she has a maggoty smell..
So they started shaving the fur on her things, but it was already slightly matted cuz she didn't clean herself up after the rain and I haven't seen her since to clean her fur for her.
We hadn't done much damage before the vet said "I don't see any maggots or cuts on her body".
Then she checked Orbit's mouth.
Her back teeth were rotted!!
Eww!!
I think they're called molars.
I call ‘em teeth...to be specific...the teeth at the back.
Anyway, both sides and they were really dirty...it was green before the vet cleaned them up.
After cleaning her teeth, they took some blood to do OH, Leukemia and FIV tests.
OH - Overall Health
Leukemia - duh!
FIV - Feline Immunodeficiency Virus...Feline version of HIV, hence the F instead of H...yes, they get this too...
I was just glad it wasn't something overly horrible...
Big Brother became the perkiest sibling in the house....and he's normally really really is NOT.
The vet also gave her a bit of a drip since she was dehydrated (since she has been eating). The vet took out a can food (i/d) and immediately Orbit went to it.
Ah! She's eating again..which is a relief...and considering she may not have been eating for the past 3 days, she was really wolfing the food down
So I brought her home...and have meds to give her twice daily
Big brother insists she should be allowed to go out...sigh!
But hopefully, the antibiotics and gel will really help her.
The vet mentioned that an option is to have her teeth taken out, which I'm totally agreeable to, but considering she's really old (cats live up to 13-15 on average), so there's loads of risks and the vets are actually a bit apprehensive about doing this.
Apparently, most cats her age who go under, just don't wake up...ie..they die.
I'm convinced she'll be ok, provided we keep her well fed.
She's an active cat, her FIV and leukemia tests came back negative.
But I guess it'll be good to wait for the OH results.
But its Big Brother's decision, essentially.
However, Bunnie has advised we get a second opinion, which is good.
In fact, if possible, I'd ask for her to be kept at the vet an monitored, so that her medication can be given properly and she doesn't get around where she can get herself further injured. Plus...they can make sure she's eating properly.
Giving her her meds, tho, can be really interesting, cuz she's such a cranky old cat.
Now she grinds her teeth a lot and most of the time, leaves her mouth hanging open, since she can't have her back teeth touch each other.
Her tongue hangs out, as well....poor baby!
Get well soon, Orbital!!
Volks Burger @ Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment