...life...sometimes it's like that...sometimes it's not...
31 October 2008
update on orbital..the tri-coloured guinness stout
So on Tuesday night I saw Orbit and she was actually worse than before Thinner, lighter and she looked lethargic So I brought her up to my room and tried to feed her her meds Tried and failed I got her teeth cleaned and managed to put on the enzyme, tho
Tried to force feed her as well, but that didn't work, cuz I is a wuss and I didn't wanna hurt her ...and I don't want more scars... She wouldn't even open her mouth...totally not interested I took the food out and put them on a makeshift plate...she didn't even look at it All she'd do is drink, but even then tak banyak... Poor Orbital...her toof must really be hurting her
I kept her in my room the whole night cuz I wanted to bring her to the vet again.. Our usual one in SJ...too far for me to take her there the other day, actually The next morning she was screaming to get out. Not sure if she was just getting cabin fever or if she needed to doodoo, but I jus buat dono She was pissed...I think she even cussed at me...hmmm...
The next day was when we had all the drama. With RM300 in my wallet (courtesyof Big Brother), I was all ready to bring her to the vet.
But of course, I had to eat first cuz my tummy was already aching. ...then i got distracted with Meet Joe Black... ..sigh..my heart don't pitter patter no more when I see Brad Pitt, but he still yums for d eyes Movie ended at 1, so I went upstair to bring Orbit down
Imagines my terkejut-ness when I saw her on my bed, belly up with her eyes and mouth open OMG!!! I got the shock of my life..I seriously thought she was dead I called her...no response I touched her...no response...and d body so keras!! Like rigor mortis oredi (tech term courtesy of CSI) I so panic oredi...then of course, I started cussing at myself for getting side-tracked
So now I'm rushing and panicking and kept going "Talk to me, Orbit!! Talk to me!!"
All the way to the vet (at Subang Jaya some more) I was calling out to her jus to make sure she hasn't "slipped off"... I even gave her play by play "ok pass the Damansara tol oredi...ok in Subang oredi...ok this exit...5 more minutes! 5 more minutes!" eh..the cat is 12 la...she old oredi ok For all you know...all her meowing was probably her saying "Shut up, woman, I wan to sleep!"
I dono how long it took me to get us to the vet, but I was driving like a madwoman, la...more so than usual
So....cuz I was so panicky and told them I thought she'd die-ed, didn't take us long to see the vet pun...phew! So the vet checked her out... I told her we'd oredi brought her to another vet and her teeth was rotted and what the vet gave her (dam-nit! I left the enzyme at home) The other meds I brought tho... So the vet checked her out...her toof, her body, asked abt her toilet habits... Asked her to walk...
She finally determined that it could be 2 causes - infection coz of fleas (there's stray cats in the neighbourhood, we put Frontline on every few months), or kidney problems, which would cause her to lose appetite, become lethargic etc...
As per the usual Healing Rooms style (if you have a pet, this is DEFINITELY where you should go), she translated everything into layman terms, educated me on what the possible issues are, the differences between acute and chronic, the symptoms, treatments if it is her kidneys...Plan A, Plan B Plan C...how we can treat both the kidney and her toof, their experiences with other cats (her age and similar problems)..... I felt smarter than when I came in...
At the end, the vet took 2 of her meds given by the earlier vet at Seksyen 17 - the antibiotics and one of the meds for swelling (the one I was supposed to give after the stronger one is finished)...these are the same meds they'd be giving her anyway... She didn't take the stronger meds for swelling cuz its steroid and not preferred considering Orbital's condition.
I'm glad we already did the FIV, Leukemia and OH tests on the 25th. I was supposed to fax over the OH results but I left it at home!! argh!! So now I'm calling Bonda to fax 'em over
So now Orbital is in d clinic, staying over for 3 nights...
They'll put her on saline drips cuz she's dehydrated (yeah..she showed me how to tell if my cat's dehydrated, too) Orbit will also be fed via IV...everything they're giving her is via IV for now The vet suspects its acute, meaning she possibly ate something which caused her kidneys to shut down, since it happened so suddenly Like I mentionedin an earlier post...she was ok on Tuesday and only started looking sick on Wed If she responds to the meds and gets better and her urea and creatinine numbers go down, next step once she's more stable is to remove her toof. But if she doesn't get better, then they'll move to Plan B...
Whatever it is..I'm just glad their solution wasn't "She's too old, don't waste your money, just put her down." My old vet was like this...
....for more info on feline kidney failure, go to FelineGood.co.uk
No comments:
Post a Comment