...words of wisdom...

...life...sometimes it's like that...sometimes it's not...
















22 November 2008

...i'll always find a way...


As mentioned in my previous post, I was already thinking of doing my degree sometime in April
I checked out various familiar (and popular) colleges' websites to see whether they offer deree courses for working people
Most did not, those I sent e-mails to did not respond

Finally, I decided to check out Open University and Wawasan Uni
I even went to Open Uni (with Bunnie) to check out their course personally and to speak to one of the counsellors
The unfortunate thing about Open Uni is that you have to do silly compulsory papers like Islamic studies (what was the point of me doing PAFA then?) BM (1 subject), English (a few subjects), Malaysian History (1 subject, I think).

Why should I do all these subjects?
For one, I have been working (as a PR exec and a writer and at the time was an expat advisor for a multi-national company), which meant I surely used English on a daily basis
As for BM, you can check my SPM results...I passed with flying colours and my cert even indicated that I passed my BM oral
As for Malaysian History, I studied that as well in school and took the exam for my SPM

So...I was rather reluctant to take up what they had to offer and continued my search

Finally, I found Olympia College, which offered a course based on modules, which means I will do 1 module at a time (2 mths per module) rather than 3 or 4 in 1 sem
I also only have to do 7 subjects, per the course - 4 core and 3 for the chosen major
The course, as advised, was a part-time course

Regardless, I thought this course offered was more attractive than the other courses available...not that there were that many
I thought about how I would manage my work and studies
I thought about the time would take to prepare for assignments and presentations and projects and exams
I thought about my shift work
I also thought about whether my request to be moved to Tier 2 would interfere with my studies or if it would help, as there's no shift work but its definitely a heavier workload

Then one day, sometime in June or July, The Funder informed me that he would support me financially fully if I resigned in order to study
I thought...well, at least I don't have to worry about whether or not work will get in the way of my studies
But still, I was reluctant to resign and continued to look for ways to juggle both

Now for those of you who passed their degree course as they should have, you wouldn't understand my many doubts and worries about going back to school
For one thing, I worried about presentations, since I have grown rather public speaking shy, for some reason...doens't mean I'm not loud, I just can't stand to have so people stare at me
Another thing is that I worried about the thesis
Third was that I know what kind of a student I was...and I need very good and constant motivation to work
There's many others..but these are all I'm willing to share

So...as I was saying, the offer to be able to concentrate on my studies fully without worry about work or funds seemed the ideal solution...and a blessing
HAH!

Politicians, even retired ones, always make promises they have no intention of keeping...or keeping without amending
I somewhat knew there would be many amendments...I know The Funder well
His Terms and Conditions are always up to change so long as it suited him and him only

I offered to discuss my current expenses with him, so that he would be aware of what I need to pay for and the amount
But he said "no need...now that you're a student, you won't suffer but will live like a student"
so basically, no more additional spending yadda yadda yadda
But he didn't mention the amount I'd get

Then one day he informed me he's not providing the funds for me to pay for my car loan either
In the end...after almost 3 months of not working and 1 semester of schooling done, I received my supplementary credit card
The limit was RM1K
I understand the limit on the credit card, especially since the point could be to pay for insurance, maxis, books, petrol (10% disc with this card) and other card related expenses
I thought there would be cash as well (for food, misc stuff, parking and tol)
But no...only the card...and my "full financial support" is now limited to RM1K a month

Before I resigned, I was earning more than RM4K a month, not including allowances and benefits, which were plenty for me (RM1K for optical & dental) and no-limits for medical (usual stuff, la)

Nope...this is not fair and very different from what he promised me prior to me resigning
He even said to me that this is his way of controlling me
Big mistake...If he knew me by now, he'd know that the more he tried to control me, the more I will resist
So...now I'm struggling for cash cuz he finds this way to be the best in making me "heel"

So for about a month plus, I have been working for Bunnie at her Kedai Pembetulan Kereta Nasional
I get RM500 a month..this is only enough for me to pay for my car loan.
What about the rest? Parking cash, clothes cash, food cash, tol cash, toothpaste cash, medical, optical, credit card bills etc etc
The RM1K is enuf for me to pay insurance (RM200), handphone (RM150), school books (RM200) and petrol (RM400)

This cash flow was not working out
I'd already brought whatever savings I had down to RM300+
And if it wasn't for Bonda buying me toilet stuff when she went grocery shopping and my continued usage of The Funder's Shell card, I'd have even less now
Luckily also, Bonda has given me RM300 to spend, cuz she knows EXACTLY what I'm going thru and the stress I'm feeling.....she goes thru the same shit, in fact

So what I did was to look for other work I can do from home, or part-time stuff
So...like what I was doing at the Kedai Pembetulan Kereta Nasional, I looked for data entry work

Called a couple of places that had advertised in the papers and went for 2 interviews
After paying a minimal admin fee, I have a job, based on assignments, which I can do at home and at my convenience

At one company, I paid a one-time fee of RM163 for admin stuff and despatch assistance plus RM30 for the thumb drive
Per assignment, I will get RM6.80 per page, at 100 pages per assignment
Once I've done one assignment, I can take another, up to a max of 12 assignments per month
But I can be assured that I will get 4 assignment per month, as each assignment has a deadline of 1 week

For the other company, I had to pay a yearly fee of RM186 for a thumb drive, admin support and also despatching assistance.
They will pay me a minimum of RM770 per assignment (50 pgs min) up to max of RM790 per assignment
The amount depends on how well the assignment is carried out - error-free etc

With the despatch assistance, I don't have to drive up to the client's office in KL and no amount will be deducted from my pay
Based on my calculations, with 1 assignment from each company, within 1 month, I'd be earning more than what I was earning at the House of Siham

This is very pleasing
This also lessens my stress on cash flow and future
Regardless of the setbacks, I've always been able to find a way
But I seriously hope this arrangements lasts at least until I've completed my studies

I've already planned out the cash to reimburse Bonda the RM300 once I get cash from my 1st assignment and would probably give her some add $$ monthly as well
Bunnie and I applied sup credit cards for her in the past and wouldn't cash in the cheques she gave us to pay for her stuff

this would be before The Funder found it in his heart to give Bonda a credit card to use (I bet even then there's a limit)

I'll also be able to pay Bunnie the car loan cash and have in fact thought about bringing it up to RM600 (not a lot, but at least it will also lessen her financial burden)
I'll also be able to continue my payment to Pappy for the laptop
I also don't have to worry about going to a wedding or a birthday with no present and no card in hand cuz I didn't have cash to get those stuff
Or wear tight dresses when I meet up with my friends (yes, I have started purchasing clothes when my salary went up from RM2000+ to RM4000+..)
I'm also planning out what I would need cash for on a monthly basis
Hopefully, I'll stick to my expenses list and won't over-spend so then I can add cash back into my savings accounts

Oh dammit, and I owe the nephews duit raya
Sigh....and I should probably give Bunnie some cash to her to help her out, as well

No comments: